Sorry it has been so quiet around here this past week or so. The reason for the lack of posts,well next weekend is the annual Climb to Conquer Cancer hike. Which meant that there was a baking Frenzy going on at my house in preparation for the Big bake sale fundraiser....
Thursday after work was my first opportunity to set foot in the sewing room! I got straight to work on this months Big City bags SAL bag. All my pieces were cut out and the interfacing fused before the sewing machine was turned off for the night.
Yesterday after work I set to sewing all the pieces together. This was my first ever time making bias binding/piping! Let me just say,that making bias binding is a little confusing not to mention time consuming.
At the end of the evening my wonderland bag was finished! My handles were purchased from Joann's and are shorter by a few inches than the suggested size of 28 inches. They also do not have pre-punched tabs,so I made my own from the same fabric used for the lining.
Over all I love this bag that being said,I do not like the pocket design at all. I divided my pockets into three sections instead of two(but I don't think that made much difference).
The reason I dislike the pocket placement is this,when you put items in them,cell phone,small wallet,glasses(what I put in my pockets on one side) the little amount of weight pulled the lining in to the center of the bag. Which in turn makes the exterior of the bag dis-formed.(it no longer holds its shape very well). I am not sure exactly how to fix this issue other than somehow attaching the lining to the exterior of the bag in more places than just at the top where the zipper is.
So if I can figure out a way to do this now that the bag is sewn up...(my idea is to do some hand stitching with thread that contrasts the exterior fabric,and coordinates with the interior )
Linking up my finish over at :
Sewing With Squeak
In other sewing news,this is what my Alpine Triangles quilt looks like at the moment. I am hoping to have it finished by tomorrow evening...
...This is about a third of my baking Frenzy!
14 loaves of Cheddar Green onion English Muffin bread
6 loaves Cinnamon Basil Sun dried Tomato Bread
20 loaves Cinnamon Monkey bread
21 loaves Lemon Monkey Bread
So far we have raised around 1,700 our goal this year is 2,000